As we enter into the “nine days” that begin with the month of Ab, our mood becomes more somber. We reflect upon this time in the Jewish calendar that has been marked with tremendous pain and suffering. We should postpone whatever joyousness and festivity we can. It is written that whoever mourns for Zion will merit to see it rebuilt.
- It is the custom of our community that from the day after Rosh Hodesh Ab (Thursday July 16th after dark) until one day after Tisha B’Ab, Monday July 27th in the Evening to refrain from eating meat and chicken. And from drinking wine (beer & whiskey are permitted).
- Healthy children over the age of six are also required to abstain from eating meat or chicken and from drinking grape juice. However a sickly person who needs to eat meat may do so. Of course on Shabbat we may eat meat and chicken in honor of the day. Similarly meat and wine may be served at a Seudat Misva or Pidyon Haben.
- A person should not take pleasure trips during this time.
- Court cases should be avoided.
- Painting or wallpapering should be postponed.
- During the entire three weeks and especially during the nine days we are not allowed to listen to music.